Vehicle Usage Guidelines: What an organization need to do when they have vehicle for the organization – these could be four wheelers/two wheelers etc. Some of the things the organisation need to look at are as follows:
*All the organizations should have a vehicle policy as a part of its admin. Policy/procedures.
* Every day all the vehicles needs to be cleaned and checked before using them. See separte article on Vehicle Maintenance.
• All the vehicle documents should be in the name of the organization.
• All the vehicles should have up-to-date insurance, Road Tax and Fitness Certificate
•. The staff whoever uses these vehicles should have proper up-to-date Licence
•Staff using two wheelers need to wear helmets.The people sitting on the two wheeler should also wear helmets.
• It is a must for persons sitting in the four wheelers to use the Seat Belts
• Vehicles should not be used for personal purpose, in case of emergency situations, staff need to pay for the use of vehicles as per the organizational policies.
• At the same time if staff vehicles are used for office purposes, the fuel cost should be reimbursed as per the organisatons policies. In both the above casess an official document should be there as to what will be the cost per k.m. for using the vehicles in the above categories and also it has tobe clearly mentioned who is responsible for vehicle damage/maintenance.
• In case of hired vehicles, proper bills and receipts will have to be produced. And in the event of not getting proper receipts in villages/small places, they need to be obtained on a white paper with details of the vehicle including the Regn. No. and the owners address and it should be signed on a revenue stamp. · It is important that while hiring a vehicle the startin and end meter reading and timing should clearly be mentioned in the vehicle duty slip.
•. If the vehicles are hired on a long-term basis, contract documents need to be signed and kept in the files. Tax at source should be deducted on hiring vehicles wherever applicable.
* Ensure that all the vehicles are insured and premiums of policies paid upto date.
* Vehilce log books should be maintained (see separate on Vehicle Log Book)