Job Title: India Operations Director
Last date 31 Dec 2017
INDIA OPERATIONS DIRECTOR
About IDinsight:IDinsight is an international development consulting organization that helps policymakers and managers make socially impactful decisions using rigorous evidence. We carefully tailor a wide range of analytical and quantitative tools to enable our clients to design better policies, rigorously test those ideas, and take informed action at scale to improve lives. Our services include experimental evaluation methodologies tailored to the priorities of international development decision-makers, monitoring and performance management systems to facilitate continuous data-driven improvement, policy design consulting and scale-up support. Our advisory teams are closely integrated into client organizations, and we strive to provide comprehensive support for clients who want to maximize their social impact through evidence- based policymaking. IDinsight’s vision is to improve millions of lives by transforming how the social sector innovates, learns and improves.
Our diverse client portfolio includes the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog), state governments in India, national Ministries across Africa, the World Bank, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, GiveWell/Good Ventures, and many international NGOs and innovative social businesses. We work across a range of sectors, including governance, health, education, energy, agriculture, and sanitation.
Please see the IDinsight website for more information on our story, services, values, and team. IDinsight works in India, Southeast Asia, and East and Southern Africa.
About the Indian Operations Director Role
IDinsight India is looking for a fun, entrepreneurial, experienced senior executive to help run and grow a world-class organization.
The India entity is 40-strong and continues to grow. We have nearly doubled in 2017, compared to 2016. The India Operations Director will lead all aspects of our operations as we grow, and ensure that the India office is run like a world-class organization.
The India Operations Director will report to the India Regional Director and coordinate closely with IDinsight’s Global Operations team. We seek a self-starter who will be able to independently manage a wide range of autonomous work streams, and who is looking for a role that emphasizes execution, inspiring leadership, and people management. He/she will manage a team of at least 2-3 full-time Operations staff (potentially hiring more people to the team as needs arise), as well as IDinsight client- facing Associates who will dedicate a portion of their time to organization building.
The India Operations Director lead the following work streams:
- Ensure IDinsight India has best-in-class systems and policies in place — As we grow, we want to stay lean and nimble while also ensuring that information is shared across the offices and staff have the tools they need to do their jobs. He/she will collect feedback from staff on where our current systems and policies are falling short, adapt our systems or design new ones, coordinate the roll-out of these new systems and policies, and ensure adherence. These systems may be in support of IDinsight’s client-facing social impact work, including project management, knowledge management, client development, or internal goal-tracking systems. They may also be people-related, including performance management, benefits, safety and security, and various policies.
- Recruit and train excellent employees — The India Operations Director will oversee India- specific recruiting events and candidate screening, work with India leadership to set hiring goals, and conceive and write JDs for new roles. Some elements of our recruiting process, such as interviewing, are managed centrally and this person will coordinate with the Global Operations team on high-level talent strategies. The India Operations Director will oversee the Operations Manager in running a comprehensive onboarding for new employees.
- Ensure IDinsight’s India offices are great places to work — IDinsight prides itself on being a great place to work (check out our reviews on Glassdoor) and as we grow, we want to keep the values and culture that have allowed us to provide this positive, efficient work environment. The India Operations Director will directly check-in with staff, coordinate team-building and professional development events, design and coordinate changes to the physical office environments, and take other steps to make IDinsight’s India offices fantastic places to work.
- Problem solve as issues come up — As IDinsight is growing rapidly, various logistical or people-related issues may come up. The India Operations Director will be the go-to person for the region for problem solving. He/she is expected to understand the issue holistically, exercise judgment and tact, and develop and execute a clear action-plan. When required, he/she will escalate issues to other senior leadership members for consultation, and provide recommendations on a course of action.
Is it YOU we’re looking for?
We are building a team that is full of ideas, knows a great organization and culture when they see it, intensely focused on their work, and “do it, get it done” types who are bought into IDinsight’s vision to change the world through better social sector decisions. Our Operations Director will have a proven track record and commitment to the tasks at hand.
Ideal candidates will possess:
• 8+ years of work experience
• Proven ability to lead and motivate teams in a dynamic, multicultural environment
• Passion for improving lives through evidence-informed policy
• Ability to conceive, execute, and lead strategic initiatives, but also high attention to detail and willingness to get his/her hands dirty on the nuts and bolts of running an organization
• Experience in a well-run global organization. Familiarity with latest research (in behavioral economics, organizational management, and other fields) on how to develop a best-in-class organization a plus
• Strong communication skills (ability to be clear, yet tactful)
• Ability to navigate people and policy decisions with nuance and discretion
• Familiarity with MS Office, Google Docs, and ideally other relevant systems such as
BambooHR, Asana, Slack, and SalesForce
• Fluency in English. Fluency in Hindi and other Indian languages a plus
• At least a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 for humor
We hope to invest in outstanding professionals who will grow our team and become the backbone of our South Asia operations for years to come. We welcome you to submit an application, if you can demonstrate your passion and relevant experience to our work and our people.
Nuts and Bolts
Location is Delhi. Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience and track record. Start dates are flexible but with a preference for sooner.
Please complete this application form, which also requires a CV and cover letter. Applications are rolling and considered as they are submitted. Please note, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted