Background/NRGI Summary: The Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) is a nonprofit policy institute and grant-making organization that promotes the responsible management of oil, gas and mineral resources for the benefit of all. Improving natural resource governance is one of the most significant development challenges of the decade and will determine the future of 1 billion people globally who live in scarcity in the midst of resource abundance. Countries with non-renewable resource wealth face both a challenge and an opportunity—when used poorly or squandered, non-renewable resource wealth can cause economic instability, social conflict and lasting environmental impacts; used well, they can create prosperity for current and future generations. NRGI is a recognized leader in the field of natural resource governance, helping people to realize the benefits of their countries’ endowments of oil, gas and minerals in order to build a more stable and sustainable future. For more information, please visit www.resourcegovernance.org
Job Overview/Summary: NRGI seeks to hire a Research & Data Associate/Officer, dependent on experience, to work with and support the Research & Data team, conduct applied research related to resource governance issues; obtain, manage, organize and analyze data; help with the project management of research and data initiatives across the organization; prepare presentations and briefs on resource governance matters; and assist with the preparation of materials for high-level meetings, events and outreach activities.
- Conducts empirical research related to governance, transparency and accountability, including but not limited to the extractive industries, predominantly using the 2017 Resource Governance Index
- Compiles and organizes datasets, and provides detailed interpretations of results and identifies areas of further inquiry
- Prepares narratives, tables and graphs of the results of empirical analysis
- Develops interactive Excel-based tools to assist in the presentation and interpretation of large datasets
- Carries out in-depth bibliography reviews, analysis of existing research, identifies areas of pending inquiry, and links research to current events
- Collaborates on the drafting and preparation research on topics related to governance, development and the extractive industries
- Monitors current developments in relevant research areas
- Helps to edit and proofread publications
- Writes briefing memos; reports on forums, symposia, and conferences; compiles abstracts, summaries, and analyses of books and articles
- Attends events as needed and prepares summaries
- Contributes to NRGI’s open data initiatives as required
- Assists the Research & Data team in the coordination of NRGI’s research through its Research & Data Committee, which is chaired by the president and CEO
- Supports selected management tasks as required
The responsibilities of this role are subject to modifications as required by the needs of the organization.
Demonstrated Knowledge and Experience
- At least 3 (Associate) or 5 (Officer) years of research experience, with proven statistical skills
- Experience working with governmental and/or non-governmental organizations on governance and international development
- Experience handling large datasets
- Knowledge of index methodologies is highly desirable
· Knowledge of VBA macros, R, STATA, and related econometric packages is highly desirable
- Experience and competence to undertake research assignments with modest supervision
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure to meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced work environment, as a team player
- Proficiency in another language, Arabic, French, Russian and Spanish, would be advantageous.
- University degree in economics, law or political science, to Master’s level
Alignment with NRGI Culture and Mission:
All staff uphold the following organization-wide culture and values:
- Commitment to furthering NRGI’s mission and core values of integrity, intellectual rigor, respect for evidence, innovation, strategic selectivity and independence.
- Demonstrated ability to be a professional, productive member of a diverse community of people at work, working toward shared goals, with mutual respect and accountability in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of capacity for learning, reflection and self-criticism, humility and sense of humor.
Working Environment: Full-time position, official hours are from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; flexibility required when extended hours are needed to meet deliverables.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.K. or the U.S.A
NRGI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NRGI considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
*No recruiters or agencies, please**
How to apply: Go to the careers and opportunities section of our website atwww.governanceresource.com – or click on the link below.