Japan Fund for Global Environment (JFGE) provides grant to Non Governmental Organization (NGO)/Non Profit Organization (NPO) engaged in environmental activities.
If you consider applying for our grant program, please kindly follow the guidance page below carefully
Procedure: Application period for FY2023 is from November 10, 2022 to December 1, 2022.
Please apply within this period through internet. Otherwise the application cannot be reviewed nor examined.
Also be aware every document must be submitted in Japanese using official Japanese forms.
Apply by 1 December 2022
JFGE Grant Policies and Procedures (Excerpts)
Article 1: Purpose
The purpose of the JFGE Grant Policies and Procedures is to establish general rules for the provision of financial aid by the Environmental Restoration and Conservation Agency of Japan (ERCA) in order to support non-governmental activities for environmental conservation on the basis of the stipulations of Article 23 of the Service Procedures of the ERCA (ERCA Regulations No. 1, 2004).
Article 2: Grant-eligible projects
Projects eligible for the JFGE Grant (hereinafter “Grant-eligible projects”) are those that contribute to human welfare through environmental conservation and securing a healthy and cultural life for all individuals. Grant-eligible projects are classified into the following categories:
1) Activities for environmental conservation implemented in developing areas by non-governmental organizations (not-for-profit organizations engaged in activities on their own initiative) with their primary office in Japan, conducted in response to the needs of the local communities or non-governmental organizations in these areas, and that fall under any one of the following categories:
Implementing local afforestation projects, projects to support the protection and propagation of wildlife, projects to prevent pollution arising from daily activities or other similar projects, to be carried out in developing regions with the participation of the local communities.
Providing, through training or any other methods for local communities, the knowledge required for the implementation of local afforestation projects, projects to support the protection and proliferation of wildlife, projects to prevent environmental pollution arising from daily activities or other similar projects, to be carried out by local residents in developing areas.
Conducting research or holding international conferences to promote such activities as described in paragraphs a and b above.
2) Activities for environmental conservation implemented in developing areas in response to the needs of local communities, and that are applicable to any one of the preceding paragraphs a, b or c, carried out by non-governmental organizations with main offices in areas other than Japan.
3) Activities carried out by non-governmental organizations with main offices in Japan for the purpose of promoting environmental conservation in Japan, and that fall under any of the categories described below:
Tree and grass planting projects, material collection projects for recycling resources and other projects that are significantly meaningful to or will be executed with the participation of a broad range of the Japanese population.
Raising awareness and dissemination of knowledge related to environmental conservation targeted at a broad range of the Japanese population.
Research activities aimed at the promotion of the activities listed in subparagraphs a and b.
The following projects shall not be supported by the grant: projects that are carried out as part of national policy measures in the areas of resources, energy, and others; projects aimed to introduce plants for pollution prevention or other purposes for use by a specific business; projects for which a return of investment is expected; or any other projects that are not deemed appropriate for a non-governmental organization to undertake.
Other governmental subsidies, grants and committed finances cannot be applied concurrently for submitted projects.
Article 3: Expenses eligible for grants
1) Expenses eligible for the grant shall be expenses directly required for the execution of the proposed project and which fall under the category of expense items listed in the Appendix (Expense items to be covered by the grant), and shall be disbursed in a fixed amount.
2) The effective duration of the execution of the granted project shall be annually from April 1 of the present year to March 31 of the ensuing year.
Article 4: Submission of a JFGE Grant Application Form
Organizations applying for the JFGE Grant shall submit the “JFGE Grant Application Form” (Form 1) to the President of Environmental Restoration and Conservation Agency of Japan (ERCA) (hereinafter “the President”) within the specified period.
Article 5: Informal approval and notification of Granted projects
Upon receipt of the Application as per the preceding article, the President shall have the Application reviewed and examined, select projects to be granted and determine the amount of the grant on an informal basis. The President shall inform the applicants to this effect with a “Notification on Informal Approval of JFGE Grant” (Form 2).
The President can dissolve informal approval of granted projects when there is evidence that matches Article 15-1-1 and will inform organizations with a notification.
Article 6: Submission of a Letter of Consent for the JFGE Grant
Upon receipt of the informal approval as stipulated in the preceding article, the applicant, if desiring to accept the grant, shall submit a “Letter of Consent for JFGE Grant” (Form 3) to the President within the period decided by the President.
Article 7: Approval and notification of the Grant
1) Upon receipt of the letter as stipulated in the preceding article, the President shall review the letter and approve the implementation of the grant, and notify the applicant to this effect with the “Notification of JFGE Grant Approval” (Form 4).
2) If deemed necessary for the appropriate implementation of the grant according to the preceding paragraph, the President may decide on the provision of the grant after modifying any part of the Application or setting certain additional conditions